26.7.15

Book Review - Lena Dunham's Not That Kind of Girl



I have wanted to read this book since it came out last year and now that I have graduated and have more time on my hands, I finally got round to it.

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect from the book when I started reading it. To be totally honest I don't tend to read many autobiographies, if I'm ever wrapped up in a book it's normally going to be fiction. But I love Lena and I admire her for her work ethic and her achievements and I definitely wanted to give it a read. For those of you who don't know much about Lena Dunham, she's an American actress, writer, director, producer and screenwriter. She is most well-known for creating, writing, directing and acting in the American TV show Girls and probably more recently for hanging out with Taylor Swift a lot.

I found the book reflected Girls in several ways. It was honest, funny, entertaining and sometimes a little odd. The book discusses Dunham's thoughts and feelings on love, sex, the female body, friendship, family and work. The honesty in the book is definitely something to be admired and although sometimes I questioned if some of stories were actually true, I liked how few details were left out, whether they were TMI or not. I think some readers will find comfort in reading about Dunham's more relatable experiences, whether this is struggling with your body image, experimenting with drugs or sex for the first time, dealing with mental health issues or falling in love, and those that aren't relatable are enlightening and other times just simply entertaining.

I guess my only criticism of the book would be that I sometimes found the structure difficult to follow. This could just be personal preference but I found the book jumped to and from different periods too much and this could make things quite confusing. Other than that I'd say I enjoyed the book. I loved Dunham's honesty on both her good and bad experiences, her humour, and her love and support for other women. I would definitely recommend picking up a copy. It's kind of like reliving your teenage years, some parts are sad, cringey, but more than anything pretty hilarious.

Let me know if you give it a read or have any book recommendations for me. I'm going to read Amy Poehler's Yes Please next and I cannot wait!